Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Holy crap is it hard to sleep here

It is mid-June. We've been lucky, and it has been mild, so the lack of A/C hasn't been too much of a liability for sleep. The sun, however, is killing me. Briana got up this morning to go to the bathroom around 5:45. It was full daylight outside. Turns out, the sun had been up for about 20 minutes or so. That is pretty typical, though. It is only about 15 minutes earlier than in St. Louis this time of year. The end of the day, however, is much later. The sun is setting around 9:34 right now. St. Louis says the sun is sinking around 8:28. That's right. That comes to almost an hour and a half more daylight. It doesn't really sound like much, but it is a pain in the ass to get wound down and fall asleep when it is still light enough to read by sunlight at 10:00 PM. In a month or so it will be light late enough that Sarah and I will be able to each separately do our training after I get off of work. We'll have enough light that I can ride my bike until 10:15 or 10:30 without lights and not have to worry about getting hit or pulled over by the police. I can't imagine how people survive any further north.

3 comments:

razorbackmama said...

That's how it was when we lived in Spokane! Nuts!

Fortunately I was tired enough most of the time that it didn't matter LOL

duaneoftheozarks said...

I think the days should be getting shorter. Isn't June 21 the longest day of the year? But just think in the winter, you'll make up for it and it'll be dark most of the day! Ah, those were the good old days--in Alaska, where your precious wife was born.

duaneoftheozarks said...

Hey, did Sarah tell you that C and I went to Hardee's the other day. No customers there, so I was bsing w/ the manager. I told him the last time I was in a Hardee's was when Sarah worked in one. We went to a booth in the deserted place to sit--on the wall was a modern-type painting--"Giraffes in Karlsruhe". Now that's kind of weird