Sunday, October 21, 2007

Random Crap

So, I had a lot to say this morning. I need some mechanism that will allow me to dictate into thin air and convert it to a post.

Work has been OK. I have been working a lot, but it isn't insane yet. I think I am starting to figure out what is going on, and it has been fun so far. That is a good sign.

The kids are doing a lot better. B has a bit of a cold. We are staying home today so she can rest up. That, and it is cold, gloomy and rainy outside. They are starting to speak a little more German. It still isn't happening around us, but we hear rumors of it.

We fired up the wood stove this weekend. We have electric radiators, and they are very expensive to run. We are hoping we can economically supplement the radiators with wood heat. That dude gets insanely hot, so it might work. It takes a few logs to get it heated up, but once it gets going, it cooks. I had initially thought we would have to keep the doors to the living room closed to make it stay warm. Yeah, all the rooms in German houses have doors. Anyway, I've got the door to the kitchen open, the door from the kitchen into the laundry room open, the door to the foyer/upstairs open, and a fan in that door trying to get the excess heat upstairs. It is awesome.

For those in the know, Friday night before I knew what I was doing, I had the living room Grampa Halbrook hot. I was in boxers and a t-shirt sweating my balls off it was so hot. I was quite proud of myself. Now I am fine tuning my wood usage. We have access to some free wood, but it is a) wet, b) too long, c) not split, and d) not at my house. So until my landlord hooks me up with his saw and his wood splitter, we are buying wood at the store, so it is becoming more important that we figure out how to manage the fire so that it doesn't go out but doesn't use up all of the wood either.

Oh, I created a Facebook account. I don't know what I think of it yet. I am trying to convince Sarah to join. Not for any real reason, and it isn't like she'd do anything with it, but what the hell.

Hurm... If I think of whatever else I was going to say, I'll updated this post.

2 comments:

Scattered said...

I'm still coughing from laughing so hard at your children's greetings. Aiden's various facial expressions were hysterical. Brianna and Chloe need to get together and be little Queen B...'s

And my goodness, they look like little you and little Mom sitting there.

--nell

jd said...

briana is usually like that. in the morning, she gets into bed with us and then proceeds to whine and push me away whenever i get near her. or she thinks that sarah's hand/arm is mine. but then she makes up for it. tonight, she gave me about 5 hugs when i went up to say goodnight (i was at work late). she called me back for a HUGE hug. she almost broke my neck. i don't know which category to stick that one in.