Saturday, October 13, 2007

Man, are you supposed to eat that?

You can eat acorns.

Really.

BUT... They are full of tannin. That would pretty much be the same thing that makes leather leather and makes a good, dry, red wine a good, dry, red wine.

It is also what makes an acorn taste like it is pulling your teeth out. So you have to fix that. You do that by shelling that dude and boiling it until it doesn't hurt to eat it. Then, if you toast it a little bit, it tastes a lot like a walnut. A walnut with a little too much of that brown crap that doesn't always get cleaned out when you shell them yourself.

Then, they say you just grind it up and use it kinda like flour. Like maybe blended in with your normal flour for banana bread or pancakes. It is supposed to give it a nutty flavor.

We'll see. I have about 2 tablespoons of acorn meal on the kitchen counter. Tastes pretty good. OK, it doesn't taste bad, and it doesn't feel like it is pulling my mouth inside out. I've got a good 5 pounds or so of unprocessed acorns on the front steps waiting for me to sort through to make sure I don't have any wormy surprises. Based on how much I had to boil the dozen it took to make the paltry amount on my counter top, I've got a long row to hoe.

No comments: