Wednesday, September 26, 2007

What a week.

I have had a busy week.

My boss' last day was today. Technically it is Friday, but he's taking a couple of days off to move some stuff to his new apartment. So today was a frantic dash through everything I needed to know that we haven't discussed yet while getting interrupted a bazillion times for people to say goodbye. I also got a review of another colleague's test system because he's leaving as well. He's the one I came over to replace. Then I met with another guy who's work I'm assuming. His job was the one I thought they meant when they told me I was getting more responsibility. He worked fairly autonomously. They apparently meant his job, on top of the first guy's job, and my team leader's job to boot. Just to be safe. So starting next week, I'm three people.

So we'll see how things turn out. I get to manage half a dozen people (eight if you count my two alter egos). I am not a native speaker, and haven't had to speak their language consistently in 5 years. I have been brushing up for 3 months, but still battle to understand most conversations, and every week I learn about some new work law that doesn't exist in the US.

It oughta be fun.

No comments: