Saturday, December 8, 2007

Alone again

Well, Aunt Aileen just left. She had an 8:40 flight out of Frankfurt this morning. I took her by myself since traveling too early would pretty much kill the kids. In order to get there early enough, we were up around 2:00 AM. We caught the tram to the train station at 3:15. We were on the train at about 4:45. Ouch. She was checked in around 5:45. That was 3 hours early, but the next train didn't get in until 6:40, and we didn't want to risk missing check in if there were problems along the way.

After she got checked in, we went to find some breakfast. We found a little restaurant and paid a billion dollars for two omelets. They took about 30 minutes to show up. I figure the cook was chasing the chickens around trying to scare the eggs out of them. They were good. When we paid, though, I noticed that the bill was a little higher than I had expected. We were served rolls with out breakfast. We hadn't specifically ordered rolls, but they were on our plates. Those damned rolls were €1.50. EACH! Yowza.

At least they were good. So we paid and then went wandering towards her councourse. About that time I looked at my watch and saw that she had about an hour and a half left. She decided to go on to her gate. About five seconds after looking at my watch, I realized that I had missed the train I had planned to take home. So I had to sit around for another hour. That wasn't qutie as cool as it could have been.

Now I am half way home and preparing to spend the morning splitting firewood after 3.5 hours of sleep. Whee!

Oh, I have got my full dork on right now. I have my handheld with me. I have a bluetooth keyboard for it. While I was typing, a lady came over to ask if she could take a picture of it. She was pretty surprised to see such a little computer and that she was going to ask her son about getting one. It is actually pretty usable. The keyboard is a little smaller than a laptop keyboard, and most of the keys have 3 or 4 functions. After using German and a German/American keyboards so much for the last six months, I find it much easier to use this one. It doesn"t like web based mail all that much. Or at least, it used to not. I have POP account that I use with it, though, so I can at least send and receive email when I have to use it.

No comments: